Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm back!

I got back into Jyvaskyla on March 2nd, after 24 hours of planes, a train, a taxi and a bus.
Last week was school work on top of school work. I started my Health Psychology class, and my professor, Ms. Wacker, is from Virginia.
Last weekend, I went to see "Confessions of a Shopaholic" with some friends. I'm not usually into the girly movies, but it was funny, I'd recommend it :) The movie, which is an American movie, ironically happens to have a lot of jokes about Finland which made it funnier for us to watch. There were also a few lines of Finnish in the movie, which I understood! The movie was in English and subtitled in Finnish and Swedish. However, when there were Finnish lines, the subtitles swtiched to English and Swedish. On Sunday night, I went to dinner with 14 of my friends from the Netherlands, Hungary, China, France, and Czech Republic. The waitress had the hardest time understanding me when I ordered, but not anyone else; I was the only native English speaker at the table. I am also starting to spend more time with the students from the Asian countries; it is interesting how interested they are in the US, sometimes a little uncomfortable though, when I don't know the answers to some of their questions.
I start a new class this week, Assessing Functional Capacity. For the first time in my life, there is a girl in my class with the same last name as me...of course, she does spell it with the dots, though.
For everyone who enjoyed my awkward experiences with all of the naked people, I have to say I have actually started to feel extremely uncomfortable being the only person with a bathing suit in the sauna...this is when I knew I have been in Europe too long! haha I guess now we are getting to the "complete emersion into the culture" phase. However, I have begun going to sauna almost every other day.
Some fun facts I have learned from textbooks:
1. Wal-Mart earns more revenue in 1 day than 36 other independent countries do and Wal-Mart has more people employed than are in the US army (from my roommates textbook)
2. Instead of the term "over the hill" to describe an old person my textbook uses "past his/her sell-by-date"
My roommate says that her International Human Resource Management textbook does nothing but insult the US and the US culture left and right. On the back of the book in big red letters it says "not sold in America"...I wonder why.
I will be going to the Southern part of France on Friday thru Wednesday. I'm not sure if I will have time to post anything before I leave, but I will have pictures of France next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment