Thursday, January 15, 2009

First week of classes...done

I have had my first week of classes, which are not too bad, especially since I only have 2 classes for this month. I am learning more and more Finnish, and I am taking a Finnish language course this month, too.On Tuesday, there was a party for all of the exchange students at a night club called Kharma. It is much nicer than the night clubs I have been to in the US. Although, there were cup holders all along the wall of the dance floor and everyone thought it was really strange that my roommate and I refused to leave our drinks in there and that we insisted on carrying them around with us. We had to explain why we weren't going to set them down over and over, but all of the European students insisted that no one touches anyone elses drink in Europe, even if it is left alone. Needless to say, we never used those cup holders. I have also had to get used to leaving my coat on a coat rack in buildings on campus. There is a large coat rack at the door of every building where we must hang our coats. At home, I would never do that because it probably wouldn't be there when I got back; however, my tutor has insisted that no one would ever take it. And most students will also hang their purses on them, as well.One thing I have gotten used to very easily and will hate to leave when I go home is the potatoes and bread. At every restaurant and cafeteria, free (and as much as you want) salad, bread, potatoes and sometimes coffee comes with every meal. Most often the bread is still warm when you get it and it is so much better than the bread at home. But, we all know that Finns love their bread. Finally, Finns will eat everything on their plate, no matter what. Sometimes, it doesn't even look like there was any food on it in the first place. They also eat very fast.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Erin, I finally figured it out.
    Now about the potatoes and bread. I love potatoes, in fact I think they are my favorite food. Now Grandpa would be in heaven with all the bread you can eat and have it warm yet. Now
    that I know how to write on your blog I will be sending you messages. I love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete