Saturday, January 31, 2009

I learned to count!

The last few days have pretty much been doing school work. On Thursday night was another Stammtisch party, this time it was planned by the students from the Germans speaking countries and it was themed Karnival. My friends as I dressed at cats and Collette (the 50 year old exchange student) got our costumes for us.
I am learning a lot of Finnish in my language class and I can have a basic conversation with someone now. My roommate and I took a taxi to our friends apartment a few days ago and we had the taxi driver teach us how to count to ten. Although their number here are very long. For example, eighty is kahdeksankymmenta and forty-nine would be neljakymmentayhdeksan. However, one hundred is sata.
The other day, we went to the city center for dinner. Unfortunatly, we went a little late and the only thing open was McDonalds; so, we went. In Europe, most McDonalds deliver your food to our. Also, in Finland, they do not put ketchup and mustard on burgers; they put mayo and a red sauce that tastes like taco sauce...it was not too good.
I will start playing lacrosse tomorrow and in March I will be going to Turku to play a game.
I met a Spanish guy this weekend, who is completly infatuated with the fact that I am from the US. It is almost kind of awkward, but everytime I run into him he has a new list of question about the US; for example, he really wanted to know what color our passports were.
I didn't think that my first name was a hard on to pronounce, but a lot of people have trouble with it. Some students just can't say it at all and because of this I have gotten the nickname 'America' by those who can't say my name.
There is a lot of architecture on campus, this is a big thing for the Finns.
Liikunta- the Health Science building where most of my classes are.
Student Union building on campus
C Building- the main building on campus
Wipers for the headlights haha

No comments:

Post a Comment