Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Update

On Monday, I met with my Finnish Friendship Family again. Ritva, my hostess, told me that she would teach me how to make some Finnish foods :) they are also taking me to a Finnish symphony. In 2 weeks the 2 other American girls and I will be doing a presentation for the Finnish-American Society about where we are from. Also, next weekend I will be going to my families house for dinner and a sauna.
I will also be doing an "Each One Teach One" while I am here. A lot of my friends here are from Austria and Switzerland and when they are speaking in German, I can understand them but not fast enough to respond in a conversation. One of my friends is not confident with his English grammar. So, while we are here I will help him with his English and he will help me with German.
I have had yet another experience with someone assuming that I grew up in Finland. My friend and I went to the store yesterday and she asked a cashier where she could find an adaptor. He starts to tell her in English then turns to me and starts talking to me in Finnish. I told him that I don't speak Finnish and his response was, "what? you are not a Finn?!" It is good to know that I don't look like a foreigner, though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment