Saturday, January 24, 2009

Update

So, this last name issue has been turning into a nice little adventure. I had an experience pretty much just like Grandpa's when he tried to check into a hotel in Finland. I made a doctors appointment and when I got there for it, I told them my last name and they insisted they didn't have me down for an appointment. So, I wrote my last name and they found my name right away. The first 'e' sounds like a long 'i', the 'r' is rolled, the 'a' is a long 'a' and the nen is like nin. I find it really difficult to say, and I haven't yet managed to say is right.
I met my Finnish friendship family on Thursday! They are retired and both of thier kids are grown and married. They wanted to be placed with an exchange student very bad but they didn't think they would get one because they aren't as exciting as a young family with kids. So they were so excited to meet me and had their family come to meet me too. We went to the planetarium with the Finnish-American Society they belong to. They were both very upset when the entire presentation was in Finnish and they knew I didn't understand anything. However, they tried to translate for me, but the announcer talked too fast. They also made me A LOT of finnish food: a pie, 2 different kinds of sandwiches, and 2 other things that I'm not sure what they were, but they tasted good!
Tonight we are going to the sauna on one of the lakes where there is a big hole in the lake right off of the dock, that we will be jumping into!
Other than that, classes are picking up and I am starting to feel like everything is familiar now :)

2 comments:

  1. Now that you have learned how to say your last name find out how to say your Fathers 1st name, Theodore, not Ted. When you get back you can teach your Father & Brother and me how to say out names

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a brave soul Erin, how was the shock of the jump in the lake? Try to find a way to record someone saying our name and post it as a .wav if you can on this blog...if not email it to your pops and have him email it around. We are all living the finnish experience through you, and I am happy you are living it fully.

    ReplyDelete